Wednesday 21 December 2011

Eggless Cardamom & Almond Cookies

There are some afternoons when you are home alone and wondering how to pass the time. This is when my mind wanders to food- things like biscuits and cakes, and that steaming cup of tea that I have every afternoon at 4pm. I start thinking that some cookies would be wonderful with my hot cup of tea laced with the flavor of mint leaves. That’s when I pull out my cook books and scour the net for interesting recipes to try out.

I came across this recipe for almond & cardamom biscuits during one of these hunts, when my mind was looking forward to tea time and my stomach was begging for some tasty treats.

I must admit that I’m not a big fan of cardamom, but for some reason I love these biscuits! They go really well with a cup of chai! You won’t believe how incredibly quick and easy they are to make. And they are delicious. Each time I bake them they disappear within minutes. The fact that they are also eggless means that they are also great for vegetarians.

Here is my take on this recipe that I found at Edible Garden






Ingredients

3/4 cup of plain shifted flour (take out 1 tablespoon of flour from this and replace with a tablespoon of semolina)
1 tsp of green cardamom seed coarsely powdered
1/3 cup castor sugar (you can coarsely grind sugar if the granules are too large)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
1/3 cup unsalted butter (butter should be very soft, not hard and cold)
1 tbsp of milk, add only if required


Instructions

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl. Add butter to the flour mixture and make dough. Add only a little of the milk if the dough is not forming. Take care not to add too much since the cookies will end up very hard.

Divide dough into 15 balls. Press down on each ball with your palm to make disks of a little less than half an inch. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Reduce temperature of oven to 150 degrees Celsius and bake for 15 to 20 minutes taking care to check the cookies after about 10 minutes. The cookies are ready when they appear golden brown.

I baked these cookies in an OTG and found that the bottoms of the cookies browned really quickly. A solution to this is to place a tray filled with a little water on a lower shelf in your OTG, below the cookie tray.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...